23 Nov 2011

Getting To Know You: Chimneys and Magic


Welcome to this week's Getting To Know You. Please give a warm welcome to:

Arielle from Chimneys and Magic!

How long have you been blogging?
I have a pretty extensive blogging history – it’s quite insane to think back on it! I think I started in Year 8 (age 13), using those Windows Live Spaces type blogs. I also had a livejournal blog around that time when I was in Year 8/9/10, dedicated to my poetry. As of right now I only use Blogger, and have 3 ongoing blogs – including my book blog Chimneys and Magic which I only started in June this year. So in regards to book-blogging, I think I’m still a newbie. J Oh, and I have a tumblr and twitter too, obviously... ;)
Why did you decide to create a blog?
Before I started my own bookish blog, I had been avidly reading many other blogs (life, fashion, book blogs) and I loved book blogs especially because books and stories had always held a special place in my heart J. My friends told me I should start my own blog, for book reviews and that sorta stuff, and eventually – after a long while of being a simple lurker of the book-blogosphere, I finally became a book blogger!

How did your blog name originate?
I came up with the name Chimneys and Magic because I was watching an interview with musician/singer/artist Oh Land, and she mentioned something along the lines of magic and chimneys, so I have to credit her for that title – that interview was pretty inspiring.
But the name definitely has a Mary Poppins-esque quality to it which has been mentioned to me a couple times, and I love that allusion. I also think of Alice in Wonderland, maybe because of the children’s story, magical, fairytale feeling it brings.

How did you get into reading? Have you always been a reader?
Yes! In fact, in my highschool for Year 8, 9 and 10 English classes, we had a ‘reading period’ where the class spent one period of English class in the library, sitting silently, reading books. It was one of the things I was really sad about when starting upper-school (Year 11/12) because I branched off into English Lit and we didn’t get to have reading periods anymore and I missed them terribly.
One time in reading period, in year 9, our English teacher was reading To Kill a Mockingbird, and she was literally crying! Tears spilling down her face and all! It was awkward, but funny because the teacher has to sit in front of the semi-circle of chairs that the class sits in, facing us! Good times. J

What was the last book you read, that made you feel like shouting from the rooftops, ‘cause it was that good!
Game of Thrones by George RR Martin! I’m actually only one eighth of the way through the novel, but I already know it is that good. Every single thing about this story is fascinating and ingenious and alluring and captivating.

Bookish and Random...
Fave Literal Book Crush...
I would have to go with Mr Darcy, for sure. The whole Jane-Austen-style Regency period is so alluring to me - the lifestyle, the social culture, even the fashion culture... I’m definitely an escapist sort of gal like that.

Favourite TV Show(s)...
I have too many to list! At the moment, I am loving Merlin, The Lying Game, The Secret Circle, The Vampire Diaries, 90210, Glee, Hart of Dixie, Nikita, Australia’s Next Top Model, Awkward, New Girl, 2 Broke Girls, How I Met Your Mother, Modern Family, Desperate Housewives...

I’m looking forward to the return of Chuck, True Blood, and Game of Thrones, and I am definitely going to fall in love with the upcoming new series Once Upon a Time (based on fairytales!)

Favourite authors...
In random order: C.S. Lewis, JK Rowling, Suzanne Collins, Sophie Kinsella, Jaclyn Moriarty, Markus Zusak... I have so many more but those are just a few.

Hardback or Ebook?
‘I pledge to read the printed word’! Ink and paper will always feel more authentic to me. But I do read e-books when they are free ;)

Quote that you live by (or simply like)...
I don’t really live by any quotes or mottos but I like this one:
“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” (Dr Seuss)

When you’re not reading, what do you like to do?
Watch TV shows, listen to and play music/sing, blog/read blogs, and Youtube!

Thanks Arielle for letting us get to know you a bit better! I hope you enjoyed participating! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment