16 Nov 2011

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV.

Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who lives alone with her mother and younger sister, regards it as a death sentence when she steps forward to take her sister's place in the Games. But Katniss has been close to dead before—and survival, for her, is second nature. Without really meaning to, she becomes a contender. But if she is to win, she will have to start making choices that will weigh survival against humanity and life against love.

Review:

I had heard rave reviews about this book and decided I better check it out, especially since I heard they were making it into a movie. I can now see what all the fuss is about!

Normally as I’m reading a book, I take some notes, but found it really hard to do so, whilst reading this book. Finally, I was able to take some notes, but in the beginning couldn’t do so because I was overwhelmed and flabbergasted (in a good way)!

I was so infatuated - this book had me in a page flipping frenzy. Suzanne Collins has created a smart and clever story, that is very well thought out and will simply amaze you. The writing is simple yet effective and a breeze to read.

I hate killing (bet your wondering why I picked this up then) but this book was so good I tried not to concentrate on that and focused on the wonderfully weaved story at hand.

All the characters were great! Especially Katniss – brave, smart and a fighter, you can’t help but fall in love with her and wish her all the best. Peeta – what a sweetheart. :) I liked Gale so far, but can’t wait to get to know him better in Catching Fire.

I wish I had of read this book sooner, but I’m glad I didn’t, because I’ve just started to read outside my comfort zone and don’t think I would of appreciated it!

Bad Bits? No. But the goriest bit I didn’t care for were those wolves.

This is so not my type of book – I mean I’m mostly a contemp girl! The Hunger Games is the first dystopian book I’ve ever read and I can honestly say I really enjoyed it! So if you have yet to check this out, I really suggest you do so – even if it’s not what you normally read, you might just surprise yourself!

Capturing, Riverting, Creative, Gripping – The Hunger Games is all that and so much more!

Rating 5/5

3 comments:

  1. Glad you liked it. :)
    Gale > Peeta in my eyes
    And Suzanne Collins fast became one of my fave writers after I read The Hunger Games. She is that good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know right! Cant wait to read the next installments!:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete