14 Jan 2012

Review: Sloppy Firsts by Megan McCafferty

Sloppy Firsts by Megan McCafferty (Jessica Darling #1)

August 28th, 2011 ∙ Three Rivers Press

Source: Brought

Format: Paperback
Page Count: 298

“My parents suck ass. Banning me from the phone and restricting my computer privileges are the most tyrannical parental gestures I can think of. Don’t they realize that Hope’s the only one who keeps me sane? . . . I don’t see how things could get any worse.”
When her best friend, Hope Weaver, moves away from Pineville, New Jersey, hyperobservant sixteen-year-old Jessica Darling is devastated. A fish out of water at school and a stranger at home, Jessica feels more lost than ever now that the only person with whom she could really communicate has gone. How is she supposed to deal with the boy- and shopping-crazy girls at school, her dad’s obsession with her track meets, her mother salivating over big sister Bethany’s lavish wedding, and her nonexistent love life?
Review:

After reading some heavier type books, I was in need of a fun, light contemporary and that’s exactly what I got.

Even though this was written a while ago, in 2001, you’d think it would be dated, but surprisingly it isn’t. It feels like it could have been written yesterday.

Jessica is darn funny. The things that come out of her mouth are funny and completely original. Trust me, you won’t be able to suppress a smile. I can totally relate to Jessica, I think everyone can, as she’s your average teenager. She’s that type of character you can’t help but like and wish only the best for. The thing I love is that she’s written like a true teen– nothing fake and phony here!

There are quite a few reasons why I enjoyed Sloppy Firsts, but the main reason is that it’s realistic. It’s not sugar coated, the author tells it like it is.

It’s got the perfect blend of everything: relatable characters, high school drama, boys, wit and humour.

After reading Sloppy Firsts, I would be interested in checking out more books in the Jessica Darling series, but for now there’s no rush.
Rating 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment