3 Feb 2012

Author Interview with Allison Rushby

Today on the blog, we have Allison Rushby author of 9 novels, soon to be 10. When Allison asked me if I would like a Q&A, of course I said yes, as I am looking forward to her newest book, Shooting Stars, which comes out later this month! Read on to find out about the inspiration behind, Shooting Stars, what Allison misses most about Australia after moving to the UK, plus more!
What's Shooting Stars about?
Shooting Stars centers on Jo, a sixteen-year-old paparazzo living in LA. Jo is all about getting the perfect shot and doesn't mind doing what it takes to get it, either. That is, until she's sent on an undercover assignment to shoot Ned Hartnett – teen superstar and the only celebrity who's ever been anything close to kind to her – at an exclusive rehab retreat in Boston. Taking, or not taking, the job is a huge decision for Jo. Taking it would mean finally having enough money to pay for her dream: real photography classes. But when she falls in love with Ned…? Suddenly everything in Jo's world isn't as black and white as it usually is.

Was there something in particular that inspired you to write this book?
The initial inspiration was reading an article about a real-life sixteen-year-old paparazzo. I found my eyes boggling as I read about how he got around LA either on his bicycle, or his dad drove him late at night. I couldn't imagine what this part-time job must be like (as I guessed it had to be extremely cut-throat, especially compared to working at McDonald's!), so I decided to imagine away and came up with Jo. I had an absolute ball researching this book, including reading trashy magazines and a lot of books written by, and about, the paparazzi (fellow Aussie Darryn Lyons's Mr Paparazzi is a fabulous one if you're looking). The things they had to say about celebrity – about the dark side of celebrity and fame – were truly revealing.

What sort of books do you like to read?
Anything and everything! At the moment, I'm reading a lot of lovely fiction and non-fiction set in the 1920s, which has been great in helping to shape the dialogue in the historical e-serial I'm writing. A YA book I've read recently that I just adored was Stephanie Perkins's Anna and the French Kiss and I have Lola and the Boy Next Door all ready and waiting for me on my Kindle. I'm really looking forward to getting to it!

What was your favourite chapter (or part) to write and why?
I think I'd have to opt for the very obvious choice of the pool scene. So many heightened emotions all coming together at once! Plus shock when Jo finds out the truth about Ned. I think it's also an interesting moment for Jo, because, before that point in time, I don't think she would have believed she could ever be so wrong about somebody, or miss something so big that was right in her face.

Since moving to the UK recently, what do you miss most about Australia?
I think everyone would expect me to say the warm weather, or remembering what the sun looks like, but it's actually the really small things about everyday life that you miss most. For example, knowing how to mail something at the post office. I had to line up three times the other day in order to post something. It was truly insane. I also desperately miss my Fruche. They don't believe in it here and I hate yoghurt with a passion! Oh, and swimming. And summer storms and... well, I'd better stop there!
Thanks Allison for letting us get to know you and your very soon to be released book just a little better! I hope your all even more excited to read Shooting Stars now, and if you haven’t yet added it to your to-read list, go do that now!

Also, if you would like to read an excerpt of Shooting Stars, go here!

1 comment:

  1. Rebecca, great interview.
    Allison, it is interesting that you read historical novels. I enjoy them too, both YA and adult.
    -FABR Steph@FiveAlarmBookReviews

    ReplyDelete