17 Dec 2012

My 2012 End of Year Book Survey

It's that time of the year again! Jamie from The Perpetual Page-Turner is hosting the 3rd annual End of Year Book Survey! With the year coming to a close, let's rewind and reflect on all the good books (and not-so good ones) we've read this year. Want to join in and link up? Awesome, head on over here to find out more! And without further ado, my answers!
1. Best Book You Read In 2012? (You can break it down by genre if you want)
The Best: Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta (so good I've yet to write my review...)
Best 2012 Debut: Something Like Normal by Trish Doller,
Best 2012 Release: Every Day by David Levithan
Best Becca-ish Book: The Catastrophic History of You and Me by Jess Rothenberg

2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?
Wanderlove by Kirsten Hubbard - I was SO excited for this. Awesome-sounding premise, mention of travel, pretty cover, early rave reviews – everything about Wanderlove intrigued me but sadly I didn’t love it like I thought I would. It seems like I’m one of the very few people who are out of the loop on this one…

3. Most surprising (in a good way!) book of 2012? 
Every Day by David Levithan – Before this I’d never really liked Levithan’s novels; I’d always muddled through them. So it surprised me that not only did I end up liking it but loving it. So glad I gave him another go!

4. Book you recommended to people most in 2012?
For the first half of the year I really recommended The Catastrophic History of You and Me by Jess Rothenberg and for the second half, Something Like Normal.

5. Best series you discovered in 2012?

6. Favourite new authors you discovered in 2012?
Jess Rothenberg, Trish Doller, Richelle Mead and Kody Keplinger – These ladies could write absolutely anything and I would read it – even their shopping lists! I only discovered John Green this year but I'm definitely excited to read more of his work - definitely my favourite male author of the year!
L - R: Jess Rothenberg, John Green, Kody Keplinger, Trish Doller, Richelle Mead
7. Best book that was out of your comfort zone or was a new genre for you?
Night Beach by Kirsty Eagar – Kirsty is awesome but this sounded too creepy for my liking. However, after winning a copy I gave it a go and though I might have wiggled and jumped a little, I really liked it. Stunning, dark and creepy.

8. Most thrilling, unputdownable book in 2012?
Speechless by Hannah Harrington – I loved Speechless from beginning to end and was invested in it that much that I muted the Olympics on the ad breaks just so I could squeeze in a few pages.

My Lift Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick – As soon as the plot twist kicked in I couldn’t put this down! As a result, I ended up staying up until 2 o’clock in the morning just so I could finish which is very unlike me.

9. Book You Read In 2012 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year:
Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta – I’ve already read it twice this year and can’t wait to dive in for a third time. I’m also very likely to re-read Something Like Normal by Trish Doller.

10. Favourite cover of a book you read in 2012?
Too bad they won't be continuing with these covers... *cries*
11. Most memorable character in 2012?
Male: Travis from Something Like Normal – He really struck a chord with me and his voice still lingers in my head even after months of turning the last page.

Female: Rose from Vampire Academy – She’s snarky, feisty, confident and the fight-now-think-later type. Her voice is so big it almost explodes right off the page! I sure do miss her...

12. Most beautifully written book read in 2012?
The Miseducation of Cameron Post by Emily M. Danforth

13. Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2012?
Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver – That ending wrecked me completely. I was a sobbing mess.

14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2012 to finally read?
Unearthly by Cynthia Hand

15. Favourite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2012?
“I fell in love the way you fall asleep: slowly, then all at once.” – John Green, The Fault in Our Stars (this quote slays me every. single. time.)

“Hate is... It's too easy. Love. Love takes courage.” – Hannah Harrington, Speechless (so beautiful)

16. Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2012?
Longest (594 pages) - Blood Promise (Vampire Academy #4) by Richelle Mead
Shortest (132) – The Gorgon in the Gully by Melina Marchetta

17. Book That Had A Scene In It That Had You Reeling And Dying To Talk To Somebody About It? (a WTF moment, an epic revelation, a steamy kiss, etc. etc.) Be careful of spoilers!
Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta – The entire book; in the beginning as I was (purposefully) left in the dark but once the puzzle pieces started coming together my brain started working overtime to the point where I was reeling that much I just had to read it again straight after! Also, both endings of Unravelling by Elizabeth Norris and Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver.

18. Favourite Relationship From A Book You Read In 2012 (be it romantic, friendship, etc).
That’s easy! The Garrett Family in My Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick. Chaotic, entertaining, loving and so much more, what’s not to love?!

19. Favourite Book You Read in 2012 From An Author You Read Previously
Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta – Love this book so much! Melina is a writing goddess.

20. Best Book You Read That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else:
Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver (recommend to me by Huntley) – The beginning was a little slow but I’m glad I continued as it gradually got better and in the end I loved it.

Book Blogging/Reading Life in 2012 (optional)

1. New favourite book blog you discovered in 2012? 
Novel Sounds – Such pretty graphics and I love how Elena combines her love of music and books into her reviews, it’s so unique and creative!

Alexa Loves Books – Alexa writes really thoughtful reviews, is an all-round great blogger and is lovely to chat with on twitter.

If you’re not already following these two, get on it! You will not regret it.

2. Favourite review that you wrote in 2012?
Something Like Normal by Trish Doller.

3. Best discussion you had on your blog?
I only wrote one discussion this year and that was on book slumps, but I am making it my goal for next year to write more!

4. Most thought-provoking review or discussion you read on somebody else’s blog?
I’m not sure about the most thought-provoking discussion I’ve read this year but pretty much every discussion by Jamie’s @ The Perpetual Page-Turner is awesome. She always gets everyone sharing their own experience and thoughts and that’s what really makes a great discussion. I also really loved the one Ashley @ BookNook wrote, The Worst Feeling in the Book Blogging World.

5. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)?
Attending the Melina Marchetta signing and then grabbing a bite to eat after with other Perth bloggers was amazing and such a fantastic night! I also really co-hosting my first ever event, Author Appreciation August – it was a lot of work but so exciting, plus I couldn’t have asked for a better co-host than the amazing Sarah.

6. Best moment of book blogging in 2012?
Receiving an email from Australian author, Bill Condon saying thanks for being a fan of A Straight Line To My Heart (a book which I read last year and absolutely loved; it’s awesomely Aussie and a complete gem!) and for always saying good things about it. It was random, out of the blue, unexpected and though a short email, it completely made my day and even going back to read it now makes me grin!

7. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)?
Views – Updates and Birthday Fun which is absolutely bonkers since I hardly talk about anything…
Comments – Review: Bloodlines by Richelle Mead

8. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love?
Series Overview: Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead as I put a lot of effort and work into writing it. I understand it contains spoilers but the majority of readers have read the books, plus it got a HUGE amount of page views so it looks like a lot of people stopped by but just didn’t comment…

9. Best bookish discover (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?
YA Book Central

10.  Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?
Successful:
2012 Debut Author Challenge: The goal was 15 books, and I've read 22 books!
2012 Stand Alone Reading Challenge: The goal was 15 books, and I've  read 23 books!

Close, but not quite:
2012 Completely Contemporary Challenge: The goal was 15 books, and I've read 14 books!

Looking Ahead…

1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2012 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2013?
Cinder (Lunar Chronicles, #1) by Marissa Meyer

2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2013?
Isla and the Happily Ever After by Stephanie Perkins *dreams*

3. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging In 2013?
Enjoy it! I haven’t been as in love with reading and blogging as of late, especially after the very bad book slump I went through a little while back, and I’d really love to get that spark back like I had when I first started out blogging.

13 comments:

  1. Great post! You seriously need to read Cinder soon. It was such an awesome book. Anyway, I hope next year will be a great blogging year for you! I'm sure it will be since there are so many amazing books coming out in 2013.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only hear amazing things about Cinder has and I really must get round to it! Soon though, soon! Agreed, bring on all the awesome 2013 releases :D

      Delete
  2. Awesome list! I just read Something Like Normal and I absolutely loved it!

    Kristin @ Young Adult Book Haven

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh this is a great survey Rebecca, I think I would have a tough time just narrowing some of my answers to just one book! Hooray that you loved Jellicoe Road, I think that is my favourite Marchetta book too. Something Like Normal and the Vampire Academy series are books I really need to pick up soon! Thanks for sharing some of your favourites with us Rebecca! Looks like you had a fab reading year, I hope next year is just as enjoyable! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jasprit! :D Isn't Jellicoe Road amazing?! I love that your a fan too - yay! *fist pump* Something Like Normal and the Vampire Academy series are both awesome and I hope you read them soon!

      Delete
  4. I enjoyed reading your answers, Bec, I think I would find so many of these hard to answer! I love how much you love Jellicoe and hope you enjoy re-reading it for a 3rd time! And I have plans to read Cinder, as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mandee! It sure was hard, this took me FOREVER to put together it's not funny. I love how much I love Jellicoe too, it's such a beautiful book and bring on the 3rd round! Yes, we must read Cinder and soon! Maybe we could do a read-a-long...

      Delete
  5. I totally still have to read Something Like Normal! I'm so glad you loved it - it sounds like a great book. :)

    Thanks for mentioning my blog post in the discussion question! I'm glad you enjoyed it. :)

    Also, I hope you like Cinder when you read it. That was one of my favourite books all year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries, it was a fantastic disscussion which I enjoyed reading and was happy to share it! I'll be reading Cinder soon and I hope you love Something Like Normal! It really is amazing!

      Delete
  6. WAIT. Something Like Normal. THAT GOOD? AND EVERY DAY?
    AND AND AND... oh, Becca, Catastrophic History of You and Me is one of my most favourite books of this year. And SO underrated. I really wish this book got more love because it SO deserves it :(

    And oh goodness, this: “I fell in love the way you fall asleep: slowly, then all at once.” I have chills reading it. I WILL FIX THIS, THE NOT HAVING READ IT, I SWEAR ♥

    Also: ELENA AS NEW FAVE BLOG! YESSSSS! Elena deserves so much love, and even more so given I seriously don't think she knows just how absolutely amazing she is, and how perfect her blog is ♥

    AND BECCA. I LOVE THIS POST. SO MUCH. And your picks, and your links, and your... everything. I LOVE YOU ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved it. SO MUCH. And I had SUCH high expectations and it didn't let me down so I love it for that too. Agreed, Catastrophic is so underrated! I love that you love like me :D

      I always get chills when I read that TFIOS quote too! SO. AMAZING. Happy Reading!

      I LOVE YOU ♥

      Delete
  7. So basically what I'm taking away from this is I should read Jellicoe Road. ;) Seriously though! I really want to read more Aussie books! I've heard so many good things about so many of them and I'm not sure I could name one book I've read by and Australian author. I'm sure there's got to be one, right? I just don't know for sure. This makes me sad. I need to remedy this in 2013.

    I also really like your "Best Becca-ish Book" category and am adding Catastrophic to my to-read list. :)

    ReplyDelete