28 Apr 2014

Debut Delirium: Tess Sharpe, author of Far From You

As with all Debut Delirium spotlights, I'm featuring a book I'm extremely excited to read and lucky for me (and you!), the wait is over! Yes, I'm talking about Far From You, which released last month. I was already looking forward to this debut, but I was even more so after reading the facts Tess sent through. Have a read for yourself:
Nine months. Two weeks. Six days.

That's how long recovering addict Sophie's been drug-free. Four months ago her best friend, Mina, died in what everyone believes was a drug deal gone wrong - a deal they think Sophie set up. Only Sophie knows the truth. She and Mina shared a secret, but there was no drug deal. Mina was deliberately murdered.

Forced into rehab for an addiction she'd already beaten, Sophie's finally out and on the trail of the killer - but can she track them down before they come for her?

10 facts about debut author, Tess Sharpe

1.) I have a dog who looks like a cross between a dire wolf and a polar bear. She comes off as scary, but is in fact scared of EVERYTHING. Especially mailboxes.

2.) I once chopped part of my finger off when I worked as a baker. I got it stitched back on, though.

3.) I started writing when I was ten because my older sister had been working on a novel and I wanted to do everything she did.

4.) I am very fond of Shakespearean insults. My favorite: “More of your conversation would infect my brain.” is from Coriolanus.

5.) Far From You was written because of this 57 word paragraph about kissing I couldn’t shake. It basically bugged me into creating a book around it so I could understand why everyone was so sad.

6.) All of my tattoos are book-themed. The biggest one is Babar the Elephant doing yoga on my back.

7.) I live in a place where finding bears and mountain lions in your yard is kind of expected.

8.) I’ve done everything from run through the woods barefoot (do not recommend) to locking myself in a car trunk (remember to use the buddy system) in the name of book research.

9.) My favorite time to write is from 10-2 at night.

10.) I collect a lot of things, including vintage scarves, wind-up toys, plushies of children’s book characters, and anything elephant related.
Born in a backwoods cabin to a pair of punk rockers, Tess Sharpe grew up in rural Northern California. Following an internship with the Oregon Shakespeare Festival, she studied theatre at Southern Oregon University before abandoning the stage for the professional kitchen. She lives, writes and bakes near the Oregon border. FAR FROM YOU is her debut novel. 

2 comments:

  1. Love this, though it does make me feel like I've been slacking on my book research! And I too have cut off my fingertip! I...won't share any more details about that, for everyone's sake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? Tess is super dedicated!
      And from the bottom of my heart, and everyone who might stop by, we thank you for ending that story there...

      Delete