10 Nov 2014

Let's Discuss: The Lizzie Bennet Diaries

A few months ago I watched The Lizzie Bennet Diaries and very quickly became a fan. I loved it! I know I was late to jump on the bandwagon, but when I was watching, all I wanted to do was discuss it. So here I am. Just a bit late? Fans of the series or those who've yet to give it a watch, gather round. To recap, here's what the web series is all about:
From IMDb:
A modern day retelling of Pride and Prejudice, the series is told in vlog-style by Lizzie Bennet as she narrates the trials and tribulations of her family life with the help of her best friend and aspiring filmmaker, Charlotte Lu, "practically perfect" older sister, Jane, and easily excitable younger sister, Lydia. As in Pride and Prejudice, Lizzie's mother is all too eager to marry her and her sisters off to rich men, so when wealthy medical student Bing Lee moves into the neighborhood and manages to woo Jane, it changes the entire dynamic of the family. It isn't long before Bing's even more wealthy friend and heir to an entertainment corporation, the mysterious Darcy, makes his way into the Bennet sisters' lives, too.
Photo courtesy of Ashley Clement’s Official Tumblr Page
Why everyone loves the show/reasons to watch:

- If you love Pride and Prejudice, I think you will LOVE this modern retelling. I haven't read P&P, but that didn't take away from my enjoyment at all. Fan or not, anyone can enjoy it.
- It's entertaining and so much much fun to watch, especially as the show progresses and you come to care for the characters.
- Most episodes roughly run for 3-6 minutes; perfect for when you have a little free time on your hands.
- The Bennet sisters! Lizzie is awesome and relatable; Jane is the sweetest and super huggable; and Lydia is intense, but cute and underneath all that crazy lays a big heart. You'll love these girls and seeing them grow from beginning to end. Also, Charlotte: I bet you you'll want to be her friend. She's lovely.
- The characters are layered. Considering how short the episodes are, it really shows the skill that went into bringing them to life. You will really grow to love them (and maybe hate a few.)

Lightning round: (that turned out to be not-so lighting fast. Go figure)

Favourite character... 
Um. How can I choose? I think I have to go with Lizzie.
Least favourite character... 
Mr. Collins (he's such a grating character) and of course, George Wickham (no matter the P&P version, this guy will always be the scum).
Favourite episode(s)...
Cuteness overload: Meeting Bing Lee - ep. 28
BRB, swooning: Gratitude - ep. 98
Least favourite episodes...
What do mean? I enjoyed all the episodes. Silly question.
Source
All in all, I thought The Lizzie Bennet Diaries was amazing. I definitely recommend it and the great thing is, I can see so many different people enjoying this! So many already have. I might see if I can get my mum onto it. I know P&P is her favourite. Now, before you go, let's discuss:

Are you a fan of The Lizzie Bennet Diaries? If not, are you now considering the show? (I really hope you are. Then my job here is done!) Has anyone had success with Emma Approved? And finally, who's read TLBD book? Currently, it's sitting on my shelf, but I think I might need to bump it up my TBR).

10 comments:

  1. I've never enjoyed Pride and Prejudice, never even been able to sit through a P&P movie. However, I adored the Lizzie Bennet Diaries and it made me wonder if I should pick up a copy of the book and give it a fair chance. Emma Approved is also really great, I highly recommend it! The current reboot is Frankenstein, M.D. but I'm finding it harder to get into that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's interesting, you're the first I've heard who's a fan of web series, but not Pride and Prejudice. Then again, I'd say it's very different to the original story and much more a modern retelling. So glad you enjoyed Emma Approved! I'd heard mixed things, but I'll definitely have to check it out now.

      Delete
  2. I watched about the first 10 episodes, and I didn't totally fall in love. A lot of my friends tell me though I have to give it a bit of time to get into it. I know pretty much everyone who watches it LOVES it. So I may pick it up again soon...

    Cassie @ Happy Book Lovers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with your friends. I'd definitely recommend you give it another go. I'd say it took me longer than 10 episodes to get hooked, maybe 20? Sounds like a long time, but they are short episodes. Hope you have more success with it this time! Feel free to come back & comment again if you decide to give it another go and tell me what you think then!

      Delete
  3. GIVE P&P A GO! It's one of my absolute favourites and I hope that TLBD has convinced you to start! :)

    I have no idea how it happened but I stumbled across TLBD when it had 5 episodes and I followed it from there one. And I absolutely adored it--I mean, they were making Mr. Darcy a little more relatable to my day and age. TBH, I'll have to say that Darcy's my favourite but that may just be because I'm biased LOL

    Do check out Emma Approved. I loved that one as well. Strangely enough I'm not watching Frankenstein, just because I don't think I have enough of the brains for a science-y one and also because I'm not a fan of the book as much. Plus it's on a different channel, is it not? I just feel like the magic is gone which is a shame.

    Enjoy the book though! I think I'm going to pass even though most say that it's completely different. I just don't have the time though but I hope it works out for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, another fellow TLBD fan! I'll definitely be checking out Emma Approved after you and another commenter enjoyed it. Maybe if I enjoy it I'll be posting another post like this again in the near future and we can chat some more :)

      Delete
  4. Ooooh, I've yet to watch The Lizzie Bennet Diaries but now, I'm completely excited to! I haven't really read Pride & Prejudice but I've read several YA modern retellings and have also watched the movie. I love it when characters are layered and relatable so I think I'll enjoy this immensely! Thanks for rec'ing it! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you're going to give it a go! I hope you love it. Definitely let me know how it goes :)

      Delete
  5. Seems awesome!!!
    I'll get watching right a way

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh this sounds really good! I was wondering what it was about exactly, I understood it was a P&P retelling of sorts. I want to watch this now. Thanks for the info!

    Rachel @ A Perfection Called Books

    ReplyDelete