2 Sept 2015

Review: The Devil You Know by Trish Doller

The Devil You Know by Trish Doller
July 1st, 2015 · Bloomsbury Australia
Source: Publisher - thank you!
Format: Hardcover
Page Count: 256
Eighteen-year-old Arcadia wants adventure. Living in a tiny Florida town with her dad and four-year-old brother, Cadie spends most of her time working, going to school, and taking care of her family. So when she meets two handsome cousins at a campfire party, she finally has a chance for fun. They invite her and friend to join them on a road trip, and it's just the risk she's been craving-the opportunity to escape. But what starts out as a fun, sexy journey quickly becomes dangerous when she discovers that one of them is not at all who he claims to be. One of them has deadly intentions.

A road trip fling turns terrifying in this contemporary story that will keep readers on the edge of their seats.
The Devil You Know was one of my most anticipated releases of 2015, with Trish Doller being one of my favourite authors. Unfortunately, I didn’t love it like I hoped I would, but I did still quite enjoy it.

Things that I liked:

- The Devil You Know was addictive! I read it within a few hours and two sittings for a few reasons. 1) I obviously wanted to know how it would end and 2) I didn’t want to be reading it at night, knowing it would be tense and thrilling, which it definitely was. I don’t know about you, but I get a bit crazy reading thrillers. The suspense, I just can’t deal!
- The writing was great, as per usual with Trish Doller.
- There’s a pie run, which is so American and I LOVED it! I've never tried banana cream, but have always wanted to since I watched Bewitched. I wish pie was bigger here in Australia...
- I loved the feminist undertones.

Things I didn’t:
- I didn't connect with Cadie. She's a reckless character and will probably test your patience...
- The first half was slow moving for me, considering it was a thriller. It eventually did pick up though and provided a solid ending.
- I normally swoon over the romantic interest when it comes to this author, but the romance wasn't a winner for me. I was constantly thinking about which guy was the villain (yep, I did not crack the case. Hmm, surely all those crime/detective shows I’ve watched should have turned me into Miss. Holmes by now, right? Obviously not) and because of that, I was never sold.

A quick thriller that kept me on my toes. Not my favourite by the author, but still an enjoyable read overall. Nonetheless, and as always, I can’t wait for Trish Doller’s next release. Hopefully it'll be more my thing.

Have you read this and if you have, what did you think of it? Are you a fan of Trish Doller? Do you like pie? What's your favourite flavour? And if you've ever tried banana cream, TELL ME ALL ABOUT IT. Let me live vicariously through you!

No comments:

Post a Comment