12 Aug 2011

Black Painted Fingernails by Steven Herrick

Black Painted Fingernails by Steven Herrick
How about we toss a coin? Heads, it's west and a lift. Tails, it's still west, but no lift.'
James is heading into the country on his first teacher-training round when a mysterious girl asks him for a ride. Sophie has him all worked out: 'You live with your parents and they bought you this car, and a very nice car it is too...' At first James can't see past her wild hair and attitude, but then Sophie trusts him with a secret she's been keeping too long.Steven Herrick masterfully reveals the essence of his characters in this tough and tender story about opening up to love and living a life that's true. Black Painted Fingernails is a captivating novel by the author of By the River and other popular, award-winning books
.
Review:
When I read the blurb I was like ‘Awesome!  I’ve heard great things about this author and I love road trip books! What could be better! ’ While I did enjoy it, I didn’t love it as much as I thought I would.

The book is mainly told in James’s and Sophie’s POV, however is sometimes told through the parents eyes.
My favourite aspect about this book was how, the author, Steven Herrick, described the scenes, characters and surroundings.

A snippet from the book:
*She enjoys driving; the creases around her mouth are deeper, more pronounced. Her hair falls in tangled dreads across her shoulders and down her back. Her skin is smooth and pale.   pg. 68

I liked Sophie and James, the main characters, especially Sophie. There was something about her and her black painted fingernails that attracted me. I found her to be an interesting character and I wanted to know more about her.

I enjoyed this book and will be sure to check out some of his other titles.

Rating 3/5
Do you have a favourite Steven Herrick book, that you would like to recommend me?Feel free to leave a comment. J

No comments:

Post a Comment