8 Feb 2012

Review: Born Wicked by Jessica Spotswood

Born Wicked by Jessica Spotswood (The Cahill Witch Chronicles #1)

February 6th, 2012 Penguin
Source: Provided by the publisher
Format: Paperback
Page Count: 304

Review:
Saying that I was wickedly excited for, Born Wicked, would be an understatement! With it being one of my most anticipating reads of the years, I am very pleased to say it certainly lived up to my expectations!
Ever since watching Sabrina and Bewitched, I’ve been in love with witches, so when I heard about this book I straight away added it my list. I’ve heard of some books with lovely covers, but when it came to what was inside the pages it ended in a fail. So…Does it get better than the cover? It certainly does!
Strong, protective and so caring for her sisters - I instantly liked Cate. I don’t think I’ve connected and liked a main character so much in quite a long time! As for her sisters, I loved them both! Tess is adorable, innocent, sweet and so wise for her age! Even though I wanted to slap some sense into Maura, the bratty middle sister, I did care for her.
Now onto the love interests! Paul was nice, but nothing more than a friend in my opinon. As for, Finn, he’s a perfect match for Cate! They understand each other, share a love for books, especially adventure stories and see each other through rose coloured glasses, despite their faults and Cate being a witch. Protective, kind, understanding and brave, Finn is such a sweet guy!  I especially loved that he didn’t follow the crowd and had his own opinions.
The romance is fantastic! I especially enjoyed the feather scene! I won’t spoil it for you, but when you come to it, I think you’ll discover why I liked it. Enjoy!
This is the first historical book I’ve read, and I really enjoyed it! I can’t wait to explore the genre a bit more!
The story Miss Spotswood has created is completely captivating. The setting was so lovely to read and picture - the extravagant dresses, the magic, the scenery, everything! Rich and luxurious, the writing was thoroughly enjoyable.
Even though I wanted to enjoy the story, I couldn’t get through the story quick enough, as I was anxious to find out what was going to happen next, especially as the ending loomed.
The ending was mysterious and quite surprising. I was really sad to see the book end, not only because were left in the dark but because I’ll miss the characters, the story and of course, the Cahill sisters! I can't wait to see what happens next!
Personally if I were to describe Born Wicked, this is how I’d go about doing so:
Downton Abbey (a less scandalous version though!)
 +
witchy goodness
+
 a trio of sisters
+
forbidden romance

= Born Wicked!!!
Rating 5/5

1 comment:

  1. I love your review of this book. This is definitely on my list of books to read in the near future. I'm super excited about this book! So glad that you liked it!

    xo
    Stephanie @LittleRedReads

    ReplyDelete