25 Apr 2012

Author Interview with Elizabeth Norris

Super excited to read Unravelling even more so after getting to interview the author, Elizabeth Norris! Read on to learn more about the book, Liz as a reader and her love for quotes!


Describe Unravelling in 140 words or less, twitter style.
UNRAVELLING is a gripping story of one girl’s fight to save her family, her world, and the one boy she never saw coming.

What inspired you to put pen to paper and create Unravelling?
I was in a long distance relationship and thinking about two people who love each other but live in different worlds, and thinking about that and the plot, I wrote the story I wanted to read.

During the writing process of Unravelling, how did you deal when parts or scenes weren’t working out as planned?
I complained a lot. No, I outlined the whole book and when I was writing it, while there were moments when things didn't feel like they were working out, I pushed through it. For me, if I can get a draft done, then I can go back and fix things. But when I'm frustrated I complain a lot to my friends.

As a reader, what type of books do you look for when perusing the shelves?
I'm easily seduced by covers. I tend to buy anything with a striking cover, and that's how I've found some of my favorite books. But I read everything from contemporary to high fantasy and middle grade to adult, stories that are plot driven and books that are quiet. It depends on what mood I'm in but mostly I read it all.

Let’s talk quotes:
If Unravelling were a quote what would it be?
I guess it would get it's own quote. One of my favorite lines from Unravelling is: "Life is a fragile thing. Apparently the whole world is fragile too. But it'll beat on. Because it has to."
All-time favourite quote from a movie?
"With enough courage, you can do without reputation." (Rhett Butler in Gone with the Wind)

A favourite book quote of mine includes...
"The truth doesn't set you free, you know. It makes you feel awkward and embarrassed and defenceless and red in the face and horrified and petrified and vulnerable. But free? I don't feel free. I feel like shit.” (Saving Francesca by Melina Marchetta)

My top 3 favourite book quotes are…
1. "You save yourself or you remain unsaved." (Lucky by Alice Sebold)

2. "So we drove on toward death through the cooling twilight." (The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald)

3. “They made me see that the world was beautiful if you were beautiful, and that you couldn't get unless you gave. And you had to give without wanting to get.” (The Once and Future King by T.H. White)

A quote that I live by…
"This above all: to thine own self be true." (Hamlet by William Shakespeare)

5 comments:

  1. Great interview! I love that Rhett Butler quote. I've never heard that one before, but I plan to use it going forward. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooohh, awesome interview! I just finished reading Unravelling, and it's freaking FANTASTIC<3
    One of my favourite book quotes ever is definitely - "Janelle, i will always fucking love you "

    ReplyDelete
  3. EEEEE! Elizabeth's favourite quote includes a quote from Saving Francesca! YAY!!!

    My alltime favourite quote is:
    'I love you as certain dark things are loved, secretly, between the shadow and the soul'

    I'm guessing you know which book it comes from right? ;)

    Awesome interview, Rebecca! You make me so excited to read Unraveling! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. UGH! I swear I don't have a single favorite... but... a friend asked a few weeks what I'd have tattoed on myself, and I came up with 'Always.'

    From Harry Potter and the Let's All Break Sarah's Heart. It's what's in Brodie's Twitter pic :)

    Other than that, I LOVE 'Tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow.'

    Neither are inspiration, both just move me :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. OOO! I love all the new quotes Norris chose and your questions! Nothing like ending with a Shakespeare quote!

    New follower :)

    ReplyDelete