25 Aug 2015

Top Ten: If I Were Teacher for the Day...

Top Ten Tuesday is held by The Broke and the Bookish and involves lists and books, two of my favourites.

I love todays topic so much and had such fun putting together a list of books that would be on the syllabus if I taught High School English. Not enough teens enjoy reading and I remember the majority (I’m guessing 95% or more) of classmates read the cliff notes of books we were assigned because they found the book boring and dull. Well, that would not be a problem in my classroom! I would be that awesome teacher who taught books that students could relate to in voice and character. Who would celebrate and welcome discussions and questions. Who would make a point of including diverse voices and character because everyone deserves to heard and seen. And in this moment, I kind of feel like making this all into a reality… On to my list!
1. Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta *
This book is my favourite so of course I’d want to push it on my students. Brilliant book, that is all!

2. Friday Brown by Vikki Wakefield *
*see answer to #1

3. The Last Leaves Falling by Sarah Benwell *
This book is incredible, moving and I could see such this inspiring a beautiful, open discussion in the classroom. It doesn’t shy from tough topics and I think teenagers would appreciate that. Also, I would hope it made students appreciate their lives, their health and how lucky they are.

4. Risk by Fluer Ferris
I would push this book into the hand of students as early as possible because I think this book could save lives. Hopefully it would scare the pants off them and be a wake up call to how dangerous the internet can be.

5. None of the Above by I.W. Gregorio
Such an important, eye-opening book that I hope would create a safe, positive environment to talk and learn about intersex.

6. My Life After Now by Jessica Verdi
HIV and AIDS are not talked about nearly enough and that is why this book is so great.



7. Fault Line by Christa Desir
I think this is a very well done book that tackles rape; it’s messy and heartbreaking and unflinching. I think this would also lead to a wonderful discussion about rape culture.

8. Raw Blue by Kirsty Eagar
A fantastic book and * see reasons for #7

9. Every Day by David Levithan
Fantastic book that addresses gender identity, sexuality and so much more.

10. Something Like Normal by Trish Doller
With an incredible realistic male POV and an unflinching look at PTSD, I’d love for this book to be read in school.

*aplogies to my imaginary students for making them cry. Because boy, did these books make me bawl...



Do you agree with any of my choices? Let me know which books would YOU put on the class reading list and why. Oh, and what books did you have to read for school? Any that surprised you and ended up loving? Hopefully none put you off reading! Required reading has been known to do that...

No comments:

Post a Comment