23 Dec 2011

2011 - End Of Year Book Survey

2011 is almost over, so when I saw a heard about The Perpertual Page-Turner and the End Of Year Book Survey they run, I decided to take part as it sounded like fun to recap your blogging adventures for 2011! So here it is, enjoy!

1. Best Book You Read In 2011?
That’s a tough question and I can’t choose just one! But a few of my favourites that I read this year include,

- Saving June by Hannah Harrington

- Hunting Lila by Sarah Alderson

- Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins

- The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

- Perfect Chemistry book 1&2.

2. Most Disappointing Book/Book You Wish You Loved More Than You Did?

Good Oil by Laura Buzo, And Then Things Fall Apart by Arlaina Tibensky and The Future Of Us by Jay Asher and Carolyn Mackler.

I was expecting a lot from these and I’m sad to say they fell short for me.

3. Most surprising (in a good way!) book of 2011?

- A Straight Line To My Heart by Bill Condon – I’d heard some great reviews about it, so I picked it up not expecting much. The blurb does not do this book justice!

- Hunting Lila by Sarah Alderson– I’ve only recently started reading paranormal, but this book is amazing! Don’t even get me started on the swoony romance!

4. Book you recommended to people most in 2011?

- Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins – Once I found out that this book wasn’t cheesy like the cover suggests, I recommened it to a lot of people. I’ll say it again, read it if haven’t already!

5. Best series you discovered in 2011?

- Hush, Hush series  by Becca Fitzpatrick– Mystery, action, romance and swoony Patch, what more could you want!

6. Favourite new authors you discovered in 2011?

- Stephanie Perkins – Lovely prose alert!!

- Sarah Alderson – I fell in love with her debut, Hunting Lila, and can’t wait to read more books by her!!

- Simone Elkeles – Loved Book 1&2 of her Perfect Chemistry series, I can’t wait to read some of her other work.

7. Best book that was out of your comfort zone or was a new genre for you?

- The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins – After hearing rave reviews about this book I gave it ago. And I am glad I did! So not what I’d normally read, as I dislike killing and blood, but wow oh, wow! Great choice for your first dystopian book!!

8. Most thrilling, unputdownable book in 2011?

- Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick– Read it in less than 24 hours. Lots of swoons, lots of action – I loved it!

- The Secret Year by Jennifer R. Hubbard – This book grabbed me from page and didn’t let me go til the last page. I read this in a couple of hours

9. Book you most anticipated in 2011?

- Ten Things We Did (and probably shouldn’t have) by Sarah Mlynowski – Loved her Rachel In Manhattan series, so when I found out she had a new book, I pre-ordered it and I was not disappointed!

10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2011?

11. Most memorable character in 2011?
- Harper from Saving June

12. Most beautifully written book read in 2011?

- Twenty Boy Summer by Sarah Ockler – A beautiful, lyrical prose.

13. Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2011?

- Love is the High Law by David Levithan – I didn’t love this book, but it definitely impacted on me. 

14. Book you can't believe you waited UNTIL 2011 to finally read?

- Jennifer Echols books Endless Summer and Going Too Far – She’s an awesome contemporary  writer and look forward to reading more by her very soon!

15. Favourite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2011?

“He took his pain and turned it into something beautiful. Into something that people connect to. And that's what good music does. It speaks to you. It changes you.” --- Hannah Harrington, Saving June

“Tomorrow will be better.”
“But what if it’s not?” I asked.

“Then you say it again tomorrow. Because it might be. You never know, right? At some point, tomorrow will be better.”--- Morgan Matson, Amy and Roger’s Epic Detour
“A moment of reserve. "That was it? The whole story?"
"Yes. God, you're right. That was pants."
I sidestep another aggressive couscous vendor. "Pants?"
"Rubbish. Crap. Shite."
Pants. Oh heavens, that's cute.”--- Stephanie Perkins, Anna and the French Kiss
16. Book That You Read In 2011 That Would Be Most Likely To Reread In 2012?
- Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins

- Saving June by Hannah Harrington

- Perfect Chemistry by Simone Elkeles
17. Book That Had A Scene In It That Had You Reeling And Dying To Talk To Somebody About It? (a WTF moment, an epic revelation, a steamy kiss, etc. etc.) Be careful of spoilers!
Pretty much all moments featuring Harper and Jake from Saving June.

Book Blogging/Reading Life in 2011

1. New favourite book blog you discovered in 2011?
This is such a hard question and I don’t think I could give you a straight answer, but after much thought my favourite blog that I found in 2011, would be Mimi Valentine! I just love everything aboout her blog! Her reviews are awesome and she reads a wide range of YA, so you can exect a little bit of everything. She also reminds me a bit of myself, I don't know why though... Oh, and I love her energy that radiates of her raving reviews, you can tell how much she loved the book! If you haven't checked out her blog  yet, go do that now!! :D

2. Favourite review that you wrote in 2011?
I have three favourites.  Anna and the French Kiss. The Hunger Games. And most recently, Silence, which I like because it has a different vibe from my other reviews and I’m digging it, whatever it is.

3. Best discussion you had on your blog?
I haven’t really had any discussion on my blog yet, but I really want to in 2012! Why not leave some suggestions in the comments!!!! I’d love your input!
4. Most thought-provoking review or discussion you read on somebody else's blog?
I have no idea…?

5. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)?

The Skype session with Becca Fitzpatrick was fun. I’m also really looking forward to meeting Sarah Alderson!

6. Best moment of book blogging in 2011?

So many things! Getting to meet bloggers in real life, talking to authors and connecting with others who share your passion for books!

7. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)?
The post with the most comments and views was the Christmas Giveaway I held.

8. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love?
Anything!! When you put so much time and effort into a blog you appreciate any comment!

9. Best bookish discover (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?

Goodreads!! I found this site and I’m so grateful, as I’ve met so many great people and lots of great books. My to-read list has never been bigger!

10.  Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?
No I was too late to the blogging game - all the challenges had ended sign-ups. But I am taking part in some excellent ones next year that I’m really excited about. Click on the tab: 2012 Reading Challenges to see what I’m participating in 2012!

Looking Ahead...

1. One Book You Didn't Get To In 2011 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2012?

Chain Reaction – I love the Perfect Chemistry series and I’m making this my top priority…as soon as it comes out in paperback. That’ll learn it’s lesson for coming out in hardback!!
2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2012?

So many!! Really looking forward to Isla and the Happily Ever After by Stephanie Perkins, and Losing Lila by Sarah Alderson, Second Chance Summer by Matson Morgan along with lots more 2012 releases! Dont't even get me started on the amazing looking debuts!!

3. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging In 2012?
- Post more often, at least a couple of times a week, I’m gonna *try* and plan ahead! Let’s get cracking!

- Read lots!

- Stick to my challenges and complete them!
- Meet more fantastic bloggers and authors online and in person!

3 comments:

  1. Oh! I love this! I think I'm going to do a post similar to this on my blog!

    http://christianbookshelfreviews.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you had a busy year.
    +followed

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great picks Rebecca :)
    I've joined in on something a bit like this too

    ReplyDelete